Arcadia Biosciences and Ardent Mills announce collaboration
Arcadia Biosciences, Inc., an agricultural food ingredient company, and Ardent Mills, LLC North America’s leading flour-milling and ingredient company, announced a collaboration to develop and commercialize innovative wheat varieties. The first project focuses on extending the shelf life and improving the flavor of whole wheat products.“For several years, we have been investing in this strategy. We see this trait as a big and important step forward that will benefit bakers, food manufacturers, the food service industry, and ultimately consumers,” stated Ardent Mills CEO Dan Dye.
Using patented Arcadia trait technology, the storage life of whole wheat flour can be extended by slowing the enzymatic processes that reduce shelf life. Because milled flour from wheat carrying Arcadia’s trait technology oxidizes more slowly, it also minimizes the bitterness associated with most whole wheat products. This trait is expected to help improve the taste of whole wheat products and help reduce waste. The Extended Shelf Life wheat trait was developed using Arcadia’s proprietary non-GM wheat genetic diversity library, an extensive and exclusive resource of trait lines with high-density variations in genetic composition and gene function. Because it is non-GM, the trait has wide application potential across both conventional and organic farming practices. The company recently received a U.S. patent for the technology, the latest in Arcadia’s portfolio of wheat trait improvements. “This new trait was developed through traditional breeding. While innovative thinking has brought it this far, further collaboration will continue between Ardent Mills, Arcadia and university partners to bring this trait to commercial reality,” said Shrene White, General Manager, The Annex by Ardent Mills.
Ardent Mills is the premier flour-milling and ingredient company and employs more than 100 certified millers, supporting thousands of local jobs and contributing billions of dollars to local economies. Its operations and services are supported by more than 40 flour mills and bakery-mix facilities along with a specialty bakery, Ardent Mills Innovation Center and Mobile Innovation Center, all located in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Bühler focus on Consumer Foods with new segment
- Sudan raises flour subsidies by 40 percent to lower bread prices
- Symaga to double its production capacity
- Russia to establish in Syria largest hub on wheat exports in Middle East
- COFCO to Invest USD 30 Million In Development Of Mykolaiv Port
- Russian expansion into traditionally EU, U.S. wheat export markets
- Wheat consumption per person reached 214 kilograms annually
- Effective and chemical-free means to control Salmonella in feed
- The Italian milling industry: an excellence in evolution
- Aqua (Fish) Feed Production, Production Technologies And Feed Additives